Pianist and collaborative artist, Małgorzata Garstka, specialises in chamber music and piano accompaniment. The idea of creating a collective vision, cooperating with other people and sharing experiences with them is what she values very highly. Being a part of something greater than just an individual act is what makes this field extremely exciting for her. Małgorzata has been appointed the Hodgson Fellow at the Royal Academy of Music for the 2016/2017 academic year.
Born in 1991 in Poland, Małgorzata has performed as a soloist and chamber musician at many prestigious UK venues including Wigmore Hall, Bridgewater Hall, St Martin in the Fields, London School of Economics, Colston Hall. She has also performed in Germany, Slovakia, Ukraine, France, Portugal, Italy and Poland.
Małgorzata has won top prizes at numerous music competitions, including:
- 19th International J. S. Bach Piano Competition in Gorzów Wielkopolski: 1st Prize
- 23rd Young Musician International Competition in Barletta: 1st Prize and Special Jury Prize
- 6th International Music Competition in Filadelfia: 1st Prize
- 8th International J. Zarębski Music Competition in Warsaw-Izabelin: 2nd Prize
- 9th Silesian Piano Competition in Zabrze: Special Award
Chamber music and accompaniment
- The Worshipful Company of Musicians Concerts Auditions: Winner (piano trio)
- Patrons' Award at the Royal Academy of Music: Winner (flute and piano duo)
- May Mukle/Douglas Cameron Prize at the Royal Academy of Music: 1st Prize (cello and piano duo)
- 16th Friedrich Kuhlau Internation Competition in Uelzen: 1st Prize and Grand Prix for the Best Ensemble (flute and piano duo)
- 17th International Music Competition 'Val Tidone’: 1st Prize and Special Jury Prize (violin and piano duo)
- 5th International Music Competition in Francavilla Fontana: Grand Prix (viola and piano duo)
- Major van Someren-Godfery Prize for Accompanists at the Royal Academy of Music: Commendation
- 6th International Music Competition in Filadelfia: 2nd Prize (violin and piano duo)
- 23rd Young Musician International Competition in Barletta: 2nd Prize (viola and piano duo)
- 1st International Chamber Music Competition in Częstochowa: 3rd Prize (violin and piano duo)
- 1st Chamber Music Competition in Bydgoszcz: 3rd Prize (violin and piano duo)
She has also been awarded the Thomas Jennings Exhibition Prize, Marjorie McAdams Scholarship and several scholarships from the Polish Ministry of Culture and National Heritage.
Małgorzata has been constantly searching for the best opportunities to master her skills. She participated in masterclasses with such eminent musicians as Christopher Elton, Maxim Vengerov, Daniel Hope, Mario Brunello, Levon Chilingirian, Joanna MacGregor, Tatiana Sarkissova, Andrzej Jasiński, members of Apollon Musagete Quartet. She also participated in the ‘Leonardo da Vinci’ exchange programme at the Conservatorio Escola das Artes in Funchal, Portugal.
Małgorzata graduated from the State Music School Complex in Warsaw and gained her Bachelor’s degree at the Karol Szymanowski Academy of Music in Katowice, where she was studying with Wojciech Świtała and Hanna Holeksa. She received a Master’s degree with distinction from the Royal Academy of Music, studying with Diana Ketler and Michael Dussek.